Latin American Forum on Heritage at Risk in a People Centered Approach
All specialists in heritage conservation assure that the main support for the protection of the historical and cultural assets is the ability of citizens and institutions to value the preservation of those assets.
At the international level, ICOMOS has made documents available to alert the situation of those heritage assets that are in danger through the "Heritage Alerts" and other mechanisms.
In particular, this Latin American forum aims to address cultural heritage at risk in Latin America from a perspective focused on people and the communities in which they live in order to find continuous and politically sustainable ways of prevention and intervention.
The approach to cultural heritage at risk supposes an inclusive and dialogical look without neglecting the diversity of points of view that enrich the conceptualization of the phenomenon and guide new comprehensive actions from all possible actors.
Special emphasis will be placed on the processes of mediation and conciliation of interests to ensure the right of individuals and communities to enjoy their heritage as a tool for sustainable development.
The tool of the Latin American Forum of Heritage at Risk focused on People is proposed on a permanent basis as an aid to visualize, disseminate and guide prevention, intervention and conservation actions of Latin American cultural heritage that is at risk.
- The forum will be divided into chapters around a specific case from Latin America presented by the corresponding national committee with the actors it deems relevant, tending to the greatest possible diversity of views, opinions and feelings (academia, social organizations, local, regional, national authorities , citizenship, among others)
- Each chapter will include one or more specialists on the subject of international ICOMOS who provide a technical and global perspective that facilitates the conceptual framework and guides action.
- There will be a presentation session and a discussion table among as many actors as possible to ensure a diversity of views.
- At the end, each chapter will generate recommendations for approaching the case in a realistic and integrative way.
- The conclusions of each chapter will be recorded in writing for inclusion in a future ICOMOS general publication and will be sent to the vice president of the region.
- Raise awareness in citizens of the importance of heritage at risk.
- Launch a work methodology on wealth at risk at the Latin American level.
- Foster capacities for a holistic approach to cultural heritage at risk in the various actors involved.
- Strengthen networks of local actors that work around cultural heritage.
- Get to know new networks of local actors in order to have a documented record.
- Record in writing the actions taken to form an ICOMOS document of cases in Latin America.
- Influence future actions and interventions that can respect and synthesize expectations and possibilities of the heritage of the future.
Read the Spanish version of this article here.
Join the online session on the ICOMOS Peru Facebook page here.
Poster credits: © ICOMOS LAC