AFRICA24 Conference – Call for abstracts
The AFRICA24 Conference is organized by the ICOMOS International Scientific Committees CIAV (ISC on vernacular architecture), ISCEAH (ISC on Earthen architectural heritage), ICTC (ISC on Cultural Tourism), ISCCL (ISC on Cultural Landscapes), ICICH (ISC on Intangible cultural heritage), ISCES (ISC on Energy and Sustainability), and ICOMOS International Working Groups OCD-RBA (Our Common Dignity Rights-Based Approaches) and EPWG (Emerging professionals).
The AFRICA24 conference is an international event focusing on the conservation of the built heritage in
Africa, with the aim to:
- Support African local communities and colleagues working in the fields of vernacular, earthen architecture,
cultural landscapes, intangible heritage, cultural tourism, sustainability and rights-based
approach to heritage;
- Promote the conservation of the traditional built heritage in Africa;
- Promote education, fight gender inequality, endorse sustainable development
- Place the cultural heritage of Africa to the center of ICOMOS interests and activities.
The AFRICA24 Conference will be held in November 2024 in Nairobi (Kenya), the venue still to be confirmed.
● Main theme: The Heritage We Want: Shaping the African Renaissance in a Global Context
- Climate change, risk management and disaster preparedness responses for conservation and sustainability;
- Learning from Kenya: Approaches to preserving and promoting diverse heritage;
- Post-Colonial and Decolonial approaches to preserving heritage;
- The role of heritage in preserving African identities for an inclusive future;
- Applying traditional knowledge and practices to heritage conservation and new construction;
- The role of youth and new technologies in heritage conservation: opportunities and potential
Abstracts can be submitted for a paper or poster. Abstracts will be peer-reviewed by the Scientific Committee resulting in a selection of about 40 papers to be completed before their oral presentation during the conference. All papers and posters will be in English or French.
Oral presentations will be possible only after registration and if speakers are present.
The selected papers will be published in the conference proceedings. Conference proceedings will be published open-access online and will be available at the conference.
ABSTRACT FORMAT AND CONTENTS
– Last and first name of the authors
– Academic title and scientific degree of the author(s)
– Affiliation of the authors) (acronyms are to be avoided)
– Contact details: e-mail, telephone number, postal address
– Short Bio of authors) (max. 50 words)
– Title of the paper/poster
– Keywords (maximum 5)
– Abstract of the paper/poster (300 to 500 words)
– Chosen sub-theme(s) of the conference
– The abstract will be written in English or French
– The abstract must be sent to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling in the form via the following link: https://tinyurl.com/mpcr5hz9.
EVALUATION CRITERIA OF ABSTRACTS
– Concordance of the subject with the theme/subtheme
– Scientific relevance
– Originality of the subject or the approach (methodology, innovation, impact, etc.)
– Clarity of drafting
– 2 oct 2023 : Call for abstracts
– 30 nov 2023 : Deadline for submission of abstracts
– 1 jan 2024 : Abstract acceptance/reject
– 15 apr 2024 : Deadline full papers 1st submission
– 15 avr – 1 jun 2024 : Paper peer review
– 30 aug 2024 : Final paper submission
– 1-20 sept 2024 : Paper final review
Period between 11-17 Nov 2024 (dates to be confirmed)
© Alyssa Barry and Njeri Mbure