Heritage Changes: A Look Back at the 2023 IDMS Events
On 18 April 2023, the world celebrated the International Day for Monuments and Sites with the theme "Heritage Changes".
This annual event, established by ICOMOS in 1982, provides an opportunity for heritage enthusiasts and organisations worldwide to come together and celebrate the importance of cultural heritage.
18 April 2023 on Social Media
ICOMOS used social media to share highlights of events and activities organised by its committees, members and partners around the world via the hashtags #18April #ICOMOS #HeritageChanges #heritage4climate #IDMS2023 #icomosIDMS2023. Virtual tours of historic sites, lectures and discussions on the role of cultural heritage in promoting climate resilience, community-led initiatives demonstrating the importance of traditional knowledge and practices in addressing climate change were organised to celebrate IDMS.
Contributions on Instagram by the ICOMOS Working Group OCD-RBA, ICOMOS Argentina, ICOMOS Macedonia,
ICOMOS Iran, ICOMOS Panama and ICOMOS Italy
Highlights of 18 April Events
The celebration of IDMS 2023 included a variety of events and activities organised by ICOMOS, its partners and heritage enthusiasts worldwide. One of the key aspects of this year's IDMS theme was the integration of traditional, historic building conservation, adaptive reuse and energy efficiency of heritage buildings and landscapes. Innovative infrastructure development was also presented, showing how traditional knowledge, practices and cultural heritage can be part of the solution to fight climate change.
Below is a non-exhaustive selection of 18 April 2023 events and publications.
- Scientific student conference with The National University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia and Chair of Theory and History of Architecture and Heritage
Photo credits: ICOMOS Armenia
ICOMOS Bosnia and Herzegovina
ICOMOS Canada x Heritage Montreal
- Roundtable on a changing heritage and building and landscape protection [French]
Egypt | Abu Simbel Campaign - AH-CI | Egypt - MUST Uni
- Visit of the Serapeum of Alexandria + discussion sessions, visit of the Museum of Fine Arts + panel discussion, seminar. Download the recap here.
Photo credits: Hamdy EL-Setouhy
ICOMOS Georgia x Heritage Resource Centre
- Presentation by Geographer and Consultant in Environmental Issues Irakli Kobulia, panel discussion and documentary film screening
Photo credits: ICOMOS Georgia
- «Second socialist modernism» (from 1955 until 1990) workshop and guided tours of monuments and sites of Eastern Modernism in Berlin-Brandenburg
Photo credits : Dörthe Hellmuth - ICOMOS GERMANY
- Publication of "Resilient and Sustainable Development of Historic Areas and Precincts: Focus West Bengal"
Photo credits: ICOMOS India
5 events and contributions by :
- ICOMOS CIF
- ICOMOS CIPA
- ICOMOS ICORP - Video 1 / Video 2
- EPWG ICOMOS Italy
- ICOMOS Italy x CIF x ICORP x EPWG ICOMOS Italy
International Conservation Center - Xi'an
- Series of events comprising site tours, roundtables on cultural heritage and volunteering, collaborative competition of cultural heritage knowledge, creation and editing of graphic promotion materials, vlog shooting and production.
Photo credits: International Conservation Center - Xi'an
- The nature component of the Cēsis Castle complex and its preservation [English/Latvian]
- Panel discussion on climate change and its impact on heritage
- Critical discussion on public memorializations in the Philippines : What constitutes 'legitimate heritage', and what do these choices reflect about our biases and ethical persuasions?
- Guided tours at UNESCO World Heritage Al Zubarah Archaeological Site accompanied by experts in archaeology, heritage protection, and conservation
Photo credits : Qatar Museums
- Paper on the planned demolition of the abandoned coal separation building Klasirnica in Velenje, an important industrial monument heritage of the second half of the 20th century [Slovenian]
- Open-debate and meeting with Dr Ridha Mejri to discuss the symbiosis between the traditional house and its natural environment
Photo credits: ICOMOS Tunisia
- The active coastal zone as Uruguay's heritage [Spanish]
ICOMOS USA x Monuments Toolkit
- "Controversial Monuments on Retrial"
IDMS 2023 Events
IDMS 2022 Highlights