While the International focus this year will be placed on Cultural Landscapes and Monuments of Nature, each National Committee is free to choose a theme that is most relevant to highlight the heritage issues in their nation or region.
Below are a number of general suggestions for nationally organized activities to mark this event:
- Specific visits designed for
- School Children
- Students and young professionals of the field
- General Public
- Monuments and Sites
- Conservation works in progress
- Completed projects
organized by the National Committee through its Scientific and Regional committees emphasizing local issues that require attention, support and/or promotion among the community, authorities and experts.
- Spreading knowledge :
- Written: Articles in newspapers and magazines
- Media: Television and radio broadcasts
- Publicity: Hanging banners in town squares, principal traffic arteries, universities, related organizations, museums, cultural centers, libraries, cafeterias, calling attention to this day and to the preservation of cultural heritage through the reference of local and/or international examples.
- Talks for :
Students and young professionals of the field
inviting local or foreign experts, personalities academics, students and the community.
- Organizing discussions in cultural centers, city halls, and other public spaces
- Exhibitions and competitions of photography, drawings, paintings, etc.
- Publication of books, postcards, stamps, posters, etc.
- Awarding prizes to organizations or persons who have made an outstanding contribution to the conservation and promotion of cultural heritage or produced an excellent publication on the subject.
- Inaugurate a recently restored monument or rehabilitated site.
- Promotion of “twinning” opportunities between various National Committees, defining areas for co-operation; exchange of speakers; organization of meetings and seminars, or the editing of joint publications.
- The international Scientific Committee could be invited to debate around the chosen theme.
THE ESSENTIAL THING IS TO MARK THIS DAY SO THAT IT BECOMES NOT ONLY A DAY TO CELEBRATE YOUR NATIONAL HERITAGE, BUT ALSO A DAY OF INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY IN FAVOR OF STRENGTHENING AND SAFEGUARDING HERITAGE WORLD-WIDE