- The role of ICOMOS in the World Heritage Convention
- The ICOMOS procedure for evaluating nominations to the World Heritage List
- Involvement of ICOMOS International Scientific and National Committees
- Reports on the state of conservation of properties inscribed on the World Heritage List
- Assessment requests for international assistance
- The intellectual development of the Convention
- All Pages
The intellectual development of the Convention
ICOMOS is closely associated with all aspects of the intellectual development of the Convention. Through regional conferences and workshops and the publication of reports it has made major contributions to the development of the Global Strategy. It has played a key role in defining the concepts of authenticity and cultural landscapes. ICOMOS has been involved in several meetings working on the revision of the Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention.
It published the study “Filling the gaps – An action plan for the future”, an analysis of the World Heritage List which is seen as a contribution to the further development of the Global Strategy for a credible, representative and balanced World Heritage List. ICOMOS has also been involved in the preparation of manuals and on the reflection on the concept of Outstanding Universal Value. ICOMOS’s activities include participation to programmes on climate change and on tourism.